cobra

Things to Do near Barber School

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

fter catching a rare sight of a black man pumping gas in Salt Lake City in 1980, Utah Jazz guard Darrell Griffith felt the need to approach his fellow “brotha.”

coilervolumetric

Re: Things to Do near Barber School

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 pm

The only black people who the then-rookie guard regularly saw after coming to the city were his own Jazz teammates. At the time, Salt Lake City had a 1.5 percent black population. While Griffith hoped that the man had the blueprint for black male survival in Utah, those visions of grandeur ended like a missed layup.

windsurfersequence

coilervolumetric wrote:The only black people who the then-rookie guard regularly saw after coming to the city were his own Jazz teammates. At the time, Salt Lake City had a 1.5 percent black population. While Griffith hoped that the man had the blueprint for black male survival in Utah, those visions of grandeur ended like a missed layup.

“I went to this gas station-store over by my motel to get a soft drink and I see this black guy pull up in a black Cadillac Seville,” Griffith told The Undefeated. “I went up to him to ask him where the black population was. I told him, ‘Hey, I’m just getting in town and I’m playing ball for the Jazz. I just want to know where the brothas are at?’ He said, ‘Man, I was just getting off the expressway to get some gas. I’m from California. Good luck with that one.’ ”

cobra

Of the 30 NBA teams, there isn’t a market that seems less conducive to an African-American player than Salt Lake City, the home of the two-time Western Conference champion Jazz.

coilervolumetric

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm

cobra wrote:Of the 30 NBA teams, there isn’t a market that seems less conducive to an African-American player than Salt Lake City, the home of the two-time Western Conference champion Jazz.

Salt Lake City’s population has always been predominantly white. In 2016, the city was 75 percent white and 2 percent black. Utah itself was a mere 1.6 percent black in 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. While the lack of black residents is a real issue for the black players on the Jazz past and present, once they figured out their surroundings and met people, they loved playing there.

windsurfersequence

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm

“There are a lot of great people out there. They try to help you as much as they can,” said Jazz forward-center Derrick Favors. “Everybody speaks to you. Everybody smiles. Everybody says hello. I’ve never witnessed any kind of [racism] out there. It’s a great place.”

cobra

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 am

I’ve been through Trolley Square Barbers a few times. The experience is always second to none. Dillon Guymon has cut my hair for about two years now, and does a fantastic job. I highly recommend this place to a classy gentleman that wants a great cut and a smooth shave. If you want to know more details Please go here Salt Lake City barbers

Return to “General Discussion”